Terre Haute

 

 
A – George Hager
B – Terre Haute Brewing Co.
          Warren & Deming
          Ernest Bleemel
          Matthias Mogger
          Kaufmann & Mayer
          Terre Haute Brewing Co. (Modern Era)
          Vigo Brewing Co. (Modern Era)
C – Seventh Street Brewery
D – Albert Hertwig
E – George & Henry Glick - Moses Easter Brewing Co. - N. S. Wheat
F – Hermann Imbrey - Paulus Walser / Reinhold Klant
G – Terre Haute Brewing Co. (1870s)
H – Weiss Beer Brewery - Henry Becker - Charles Graf
I – Peoples’ Brewing Co.




This area was first populated by Europeans when Fort Harrison was built in 1811. The city of Terre Haute was first platted in 1816. Early records, as expected, are scarce and incomplete.




The Wabash River attracted many distilleries in the early era, some started before statehood in 1816. In 1825 a fire destroyed John F. King’s distillery which was located northeast of town.

Historical Perspective: The first firefighters to protect Terre Haute - Tribune-Star Column by Mike McCormick, Dec 5, 2009


 
George Hager



By the time Prohibition became law in 1918, Terre Haute had seen 30 breweries open and close. Terre Haute's first brewery was opened by George Hager in 1835 at Outlet 23, but soon after was destroyed by fire.

Timeline of History – Vigo County Library



 
Terre Haute Brewing Co.
 
 
 
Anton Mayer and Edward Beggs pictures from a picture of an informational card from the Terre Haute First National Bank. We thank Wabash Valley Visions & Voices: A Digital Memory Project at the Indiana State Library web site for making these available.


 
Prohibition non-alcoholic drinks.
 
 
Just thought you might like to see one of the original Coke bottles. Clock courtesy John Coughanowr.
 

 



One of the leading German citizens and successful business men of Terre Haute is Anton Mayer, the pioneer brewer of the city, who has been closely identified with the business interests of this county for over forty years. While in Germany he worked for a period of eighteen months in the brewery, and the knowledge thus gained formed the foundation for his great success in that line in this country.

He came to the United States in 1858, when but little more than a mere boy, leaving home and parents behind. He came direct to Terre Haute but remained in this city but a short time, going to Cincinnati, Ohio, where for a period of over eight years he was employed in a brewery, three years of which he was foreman of the establishment. While at work in Cincinnati he was a close observer of the way the brewery business was managed, and became thoroughly familiar with all the details of the same. He was of an economical disposition and his wages soon accumulated sufficiently for him to determine to venture into the business on his own account.

When the time came for him to put his plans into force his mind traveled back to Terre Haute, and so, in 1868, he returned to this city and formed a partnership with Andrew Kaufman and together they purchased the brewery plant of his brother-in-law, Mathias Mogger, and engaged in the manufacture of beer. Mr. Kaufman died about eleven months after it was established, Mr. Mayer becoming the sole owner.

When the brewery was first opened for business it was on a small scale, with a yearly capacity of two thousand five hundred barrels. During his ownership the plant was improved and enlarged until the capacity, in 1889, was raised to twenty-five thousand barrels a year. In that year Mr. Mayer sold that business, which is now the Terre Haute Brewing Company, and retired from active business. He owns considerable valuable improved city and farm property, the management of which takes all of the time he is now willing to devote to business. So successful has been the business career of Mr. Mayer that he is accounted one of the wealthy men of Terre Haute, as well as one of the city's leading and influential citizens.

Greater Terre Haute and Vigo County, Charles Cochran Oakey, 1908

 
   
Courtesy Steve Paddack
 
 
 
The old Mogger building was used by the Terre Haute Brewing Co.
in the 1990s.
 

Peoples

 
James Cannon of Terre Haute has sent some information to add:
 
"Terre Haute One of the most modern and complete brewery and artificial ice making plants now under course of construction is that of the Peoples Brewing Co. This entire plant which covers an area of 170 by 120 ft was designed in all details and is being constructed complete from foundation to running order including building and machinery by the Huetteman & Cramer Co of Detroit Mich. All buildings will be fireproof of steel construction with brick arched concrete cement and asphalt floors The exterior will be brick with stone and vitrified brick trimmings The tructural iron will be furnished by the Scully Steel & Iron Co of Chicago. There will also be an ice making plant of 10 tons capacity daily separate office buildings and bottling works.

The brew house size 35x35 ft., four stories high will be equipped with a 135 barrel outfit. Adjoining are the storage cellars which are built fireproof four stories high with tile insulation. These cellars will be equipped entirely with glass enameled steel tanks manufactured by the Detroit Steel Cooperage Co of Detroit Mich. The fermenting cellar will be equipped with open glass enameled fermenting tubs of 130 barrels capacity having copper tin plated attemporators and all special fittings.

The stock cellar will be equipped with glass enameled stock tubs of 235 barrel capacity and the chip cellar will be equipped with glass enameled chip casks of 150 barrel capacity.
The machine house 32x32 ft., two stories high will be equipped with a horizontal 50 ton Detroit Safety compressor refrigerating machine of the Huetteman & Cramer Co pattern also all necessary engines pumps etc.

The boiler room 39x48 ft one story high will be equipped with two 150 horsepower tubular toilers and heaters etc. of corresponding capacity.

The wash house 34x53 ft., one story high will be equipped with a 10 horsepower engine, brush keg scrubbers, soaking tanks, etc.

The ice making plant 21x42 ft., two stories high will be equipped with steel freezing tank steam condenser filter etc with an adjoining ice storage celhr one story high of ample capacity.

The office and bottling works will he a separate building two stories high 32X 95 ft. The lower floor will be storage room; the bottling department will have modern equipments, including a Detroit automatic sterlilizer, fillers, corking machines, steaming tanks, etc. The office department will be two stories, the lower floor will have general officer and private office and vault; the second floor will have a private office and general board meeting room.
Workmen have razed the old malt house of the Terre Haute Brewing Co in Terre Haute and the old foundations are being removed The new foundations are to he put in at once and the brick work of the newr superstructure is to go up next spring."
- American Brewers' Review-Volume 18 - 1904.

"The foundations of the new brewery the People's Brewing Co., of Terre Haute have been completed and contracts for the superstructure let. The company expects to place its first output on the market next spring." American Brewers' Review-Volume 18 - 1904.
"People's Brewing Co., of Terre Haute, Ind. Capital stock, $200,000. Directors, George Terhorst, C.N. Murphy, Fred Otte, Christian Morlock, Otto Hippelheuser, H.C. Steeg, E.R. Bothrick" - American Brewers' Review-Volume 18 - 1904.

"Former Mayor Steeg helped promote and organize 'Peoples Brewing Company of Terre Haute.' Stock subscriptions totaling $125,000 were received from 44 investors before June 20. A five-story building at First and Wilson streets was planned.

Besides Steeg, the initial directors were George Terhorst, Otto Hippleheuser, Fred Otte, Christian Morlock, Charles N. Murphy and E.R. Bathrick." - Mike McCormick, Tribune Star, Aug 15, 2004



Distilleries

There was a distillery at Water and Sheets Streets before 1840.

The major distillery in Terre Haute had roots back to 1840 when formed by Ezra W. Smith and Horace Button. This operation burned in 1847 but was rebuilt by Smith. Alexander McGregor bought it in 1850 and did profitable business during the Civil War. Herman Hulman bought it from Smith in 1870. By 1880 this distillery, then at First and Wilson Streets, was owned by Crawford Fairbanks and Robert S. Cox and was in the news when a boiler explosion killed 7 people. On June 29, 1884, a this 4-story distillery (by then owned by Fairbanks and Duenweg) burnt to the ground. It was reported that 300 hogs were roasted when the fire spread to nearby barn. The distillery was rebuilt, becoming the Indiana Distilling Company. In 1895 they built a 6-story Majestic Distillery that was thought to be the world's largest with a capacity of 60,000 gallons a day.

The Merchants Distilling Co was founded in 1898 by Fred B. Smith and had a capacity of 15,000 gallons daily. It was on south First St. This enterprise was reopened after prohibition. They went bankrupt in 1959. court ruling

 
The Commercial Distilling Company in the early 1900s.
Located at Prairieton Ave and Demorest St.
Described (by them) as the largest distillery in the world.
Stylized picture from a postcard.